Position Title: Writer (Consultant)
Location: Remote/Los Angeles (preferred)
Reports to: Director
Hours per week (average): 10-15 hours
Overtime Status: Not Applicable
The AAPI Civic Engagement Fund seeks an experienced writer for a short-term contract position to work with its team in the production of periodic grant dockets, the Fund’s annual report, and other writings as needed. Responsibilities involve writing original content, summarizing written narratives, editing publicity materials, and occasional online research and data analysis. The project will begin in mid-to-late September and work will range between 10 to 15 hours per week.
- Excellent English writing and project management skills
- Demonstrated writing experience, specifically grant-writing or reports for foundations
- Strong proofreading / copy editing skills with a sharp eye for detail
- Attentive, reliable, and able to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities and issues, passionate about civic engagement, social justice, and democracy related issues
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in team settings with excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, WordPress, and Google Docs
- Ability to work remotely during COVID pandemic; after the pandemic emergency has lifted, work will likely include a hybrid of primarily remote work with some local travel to an office in Los Angeles
- Ability to communicate via phone and work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to work at a computer workstation in an ergonomically correct environment
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when needed
- Experience in community organizing, grassroots mobilization, community-centered power building, electoral campaigns, popular education, and building coalitions
- Experience working with immigrant and refugee communities facing linguistic and cultural barriers
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness; cultural knowledge and language skills in an Asian language a plus
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodation may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.
How to Apply
Please submit the following items to email@example.com:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in this position, hourly rate, available hours, and available start date
- 2 relevant writing samples
In your email, please include “Writer” in the subject line and save files in a PDFor Word format under LastName_FirstName_CL/Resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
The AAPI Civic Engagement Fund is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.